Monday, August 18, 2014

La Salle's, Shemick, chooses SNHU


Tyler Shemick of Foster, RI, a rising senior at La Salle Academy, announced his commitment to SNHU last Tuesday via Twitter. The corner infielder and right handed pitcher helped lead La Salle to the State Championship, they however fell to Bishop Hendricken in the finals but Shemick was a big piece to helping them get there. He hit .330 this spring and on the mound he was 8 and 0 with an ERA of 0.82 and was Top 5 in the state for strikeouts. He was First Team All Division and Second Team All State. We caught up with "Shem" and asked him some questions on his commitment.

Why did you choose SNHU? Did anything stick out to you when you visited, How do you like the coaching staff etc.?
" I chose SNHU because I fell in love with the atmosphere of the school. When I went there for my first visit, I noticed that everyone was  friendly and it looked like that they also loved the school. I loved how the campus is in the country because I grew up living in the country. I thought that every building was beautiful and everything looked like it was well maintained. Another reason why I wanted to go to SNHU is because of the baseball coaching staff. Coach Loiseau and Coach Austin are not just coaches that know about the game. They also bond with their teammates and help them to become a better baseball players physically and mentally."

Have you had a special coach or family member that led you to this great accomplishment? If so or both, what did they do for you to reach this?

"I have had many special coaches throughout the years helping me to become a better baseball player. First I would thank my mom and dad. They have been there for me supporting my love for the game and helping me out anyway they could. My dad especially went out of his way to teach and train me to be my best. I definitely would not be where I am today without them. I would also like to thank Ryan Leahy from Recruiting Edge baseball. Last year I played for Coach Leahy and he physically and mentally made me a better baseball player. If I made a mistake he told me not to worry about it and get the next play. He also was making sure that I was progressing at everything I do. The third person I would like to thank is  Geoff Marcone and the coaching staff from La Salle Academy. They taught me that being a team of brothers is better than a team of individuals. Brothers stick together no matter what the situation is rather kicking the team down. Brothers also pick each other up if someone makes a mistake. I would like to thank Wade Briggs, my pitching coach for everything that he has done for me. He made me a better and smarter pitcher. He taught me that if I ever struggle I should go back to my mechanics and stay relaxed. Lastly I would like to thank the coaching staff at Legends Baseball. I have played for them for three years and they incredible coaches. They know how to get a run in when it is important and to motivate the team. They are one of the best AAU organizations there is."


What are you looking forward to the most at SNHU?

"I am really looking forward to learning how to be a better baseball player from SNHU's coaching staff. I am also looking forward to build a family with my upcoming teammates. I know that they are a great group of guys and it will be fun competing for a national championship with them."


What things are you going to try and improve before college?

"The things that I will work on in the next couple years is becoming the best team player that I can be. I am also going to make sure that I am working in the gym to get stronger and better."

Lastly, your teammate Ryan Spagnoli recently committed to SNHU this week as well, what is your relationship with him like and what can you say about him as a person.

"Spags is one of the best teammates I have ever had and I love him like a brother. Him and I always used to joke around saying that we might be roommates at SNHU in the beginning. It is funny now that I realize it actually might happen. It is like a dream come true. I played with him for two years in the Legends Organization and he is one of the most competitive kids I know. He truly is a great leader. When the team is down he picks everyone up and gets them motivated no matter what the situation is. He played second base for our team and he is a phenomenal baseball player. He gives every play one hundred percent. I am really looking forward to playing with him in the next four years."

No comments:

Post a Comment