Tuesday, July 29, 2014

St Sebastian's own, Pat McGowan, commits to Holy Cross

Right handed pitcher Pat McGowan of St Sebastian's announced on his twitter account that he has committed to Holy Cross for the fall of 2015.

"@McG13Patty: 2015 Holy Cross Baseball commit! A big thank you to everybody who has helped me along the way!! #CrusaderBaseball ⚾️"

The Wellesley, MA native has a pretty impressive resumé for such a young baseball player. The past two years McGowan has been a Perfect Game Pre Season All American and this year was All-League All ISL for High School baseball at St Sebastian's and was recently nominated as 17U WWBA All Tournament in early July. Pat's fastball currently sits at about 85-87MPH and he has topped out at 88MPH. Pat currently plays his summer ball for the 17U Northeast Baseball Rays, who are one of New England's top teams. We caught up with Pat and asked him some questions. 

Why did you choose Holy Cross? Did anything stick out to you when you visited, How did you like the coaching staff etc.?
"I chose Holy Cross because of many things. Coach DiCenzo and Coach Rawkowski who are two guys that are going to get the best out of me. I love how Coach D pushes his players but he also supports them very well. Also, the amount of good players on their team will translate into a strong future for them, and I want to be apart of that team."

Have you had a special coach or family member that led you to this great accomplishment? If so or both, what did they do for you to reach this?
"My head coach at my high school, Mike Schell, has been a mentor for the past couple of years. He's a former Holy Cross baseball player that knew Holy Cross would be the best spot for me academically and athletically. He pushed me in the classroom and on the field, but the best part is that he would always ask me how I'm doing and his door is always open for me to go in and just chat. Also, my parents have given me the utmost support and preparation in order for me to get to where am today. My dad has always been there to hit me ground balls and throw me BP whenever I ask for it."
What are you looking forward to the most at Holy Cross?
"I look forward to being apart of a great team. They had a lot of freshman last year that will be juniors when I get there and they will be a force in the Patriot League and I want to be someone who makes a big impact on that team"

What things are you going to try and improve before college?
"One thing I'm going to work on before I go to Holy Cross is refining my mechanics in order to boost my velocity and bolstering my change up as a third pitch in my repertoire."

Lastly, what was your favorite baseball moment? For example, winning a state championship or throwing a no hitter etc.
"I threw a perfect game in little league when I was 12 and it was against the leagues best team. It was a great moment for me because my defense stood tall and made some great plays behind me."




No comments:

Post a Comment